For the past few years female rap has been in a state of turmoil as many “femcees” have been dropped by their record labels (Shawnna, Lil’ Mo) or have had to serve prison time (Lil’ Kim, Foxy Brown). With all these unfortunate circumstances facing Hip Hop’s lead women, it was only fitting that the female rap pioneer, MC Lyte, would return to the music scene. Beautiful gives Lyte the chance to demonstrate the all-too-underrated aspect of storytelling, revealing the tale of a lonely player (which isn’t necessarily an oxymoron) through a rhyme scheme that more than proves she’s still got “it.” Now, if only somebody could convince Queen Latifah to do another rap album…
Written by Burmy on 11/28/07
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)