For the past few years female rap has been in a state of turmoil as many “femcees” have been dropped by their record labels (Shawnna, Lil’ Mo) or have had to serve prison time (Lil’ Kim, Foxy Brown). With all these unfortunate circumstances facing Hip Hop’s lead women, it was only fitting that the female rap pioneer, MC Lyte, would return to the music scene. Beautiful gives Lyte the chance to demonstrate the all-too-underrated aspect of storytelling, revealing the tale of a lonely player (which isn’t necessarily an oxymoron) through a rhyme scheme that more than proves she’s still got “it.” Now, if only somebody could convince Queen Latifah to do another rap album…
Written by Burmy on 11/28/07
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.