Whenever an emcee “blows up,” there will always be a segment of their individual listening populace who believes they “sold out.” While sacrificing content for coin is, in fact, selling out, there is nothing wrong with making a dollar or two (million) in exchange for some real hip-hop; rappers gotta eat too! I know Mayo knows what I’m talking about. On his first Booth feature spot since January, the Chi-Town emcee makes it crystal clear that he is rapping to reach Jay-Z’s Lifestyle, but, as you can hear, he refuses to make factory made hip-hop. Backed by producer Nova’s minimalist, snare-driven beat, Mayo uses his exuberant, youthful flow to share his big dreams. His style is so relatable and personable, you will definitely find yourself hoping he makes his dreams come true; if he keeps this up it won’t be long. Those looking for more will find what they need on Mayo’s forthcoming release, The Most Known Nobody EP.
Written by Lucas G. on 07/7/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.