Men will put up with a lot (and I mean a lot) for an alluring enough female but, of course, everyone has his limits. On new single (and Mayer Mondays entry #2) The Walk, old-school soul revivalist Mayer Hawthorne, describes the moment he saw through the luxurious hair, the “cocoa-butter skin,” and (especially) the high-heeled stride to realize that a certain woman was bad news. Backed by his own blissfully mellow, brass-laced production, the artist describes how his initial enchantment with the girl in question curdled into disgust as he learned what she was like on the inside. And since, in this post-F*ck You music game, every throwback soul banger needs some salty language, Hawthorne doesn’t neglect to toss a few quarters in the swear jar, crooning, “From the moment that I met you, I thought you were fine / But your sh*tty f*ckin’ attitude has got me changin’ my mind.” Has this bitter yet tuneful selection left you craving more? Then be sure to cop Hawthorne’s How Do You Do LP when it hits stores October 11, and stay tuned for further entries in the singer’s online series.
Written by richard on 08/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.