Men will put up with a lot (and I mean a lot) for an alluring enough female but, of course, everyone has his limits. On new single (and Mayer Mondays entry #2) The Walk, old-school soul revivalist Mayer Hawthorne, describes the moment he saw through the luxurious hair, the “cocoa-butter skin,” and (especially) the high-heeled stride to realize that a certain woman was bad news. Backed by his own blissfully mellow, brass-laced production, the artist describes how his initial enchantment with the girl in question curdled into disgust as he learned what she was like on the inside. And since, in this post-F*ck You music game, every throwback soul banger needs some salty language, Hawthorne doesn’t neglect to toss a few quarters in the swear jar, crooning, “From the moment that I met you, I thought you were fine / But your sh*tty f*ckin’ attitude has got me changin’ my mind.” Has this bitter yet tuneful selection left you craving more? Then be sure to cop Hawthorne’s How Do You Do LP when it hits stores October 11, and stay tuned for further entries in the singer’s online series.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.