Men will put up with a lot (and I mean a lot) for an alluring enough female but, of course, everyone has his limits. On new single (and Mayer Mondays entry #2) The Walk, old-school soul revivalist Mayer Hawthorne, describes the moment he saw through the luxurious hair, the “cocoa-butter skin,” and (especially) the high-heeled stride to realize that a certain woman was bad news. Backed by his own blissfully mellow, brass-laced production, the artist describes how his initial enchantment with the girl in question curdled into disgust as he learned what she was like on the inside. And since, in this post-F*ck You music game, every throwback soul banger needs some salty language, Hawthorne doesn’t neglect to toss a few quarters in the swear jar, crooning, “From the moment that I met you, I thought you were fine / But your sh*tty f*ckin’ attitude has got me changin’ my mind.” Has this bitter yet tuneful selection left you craving more? Then be sure to cop Hawthorne’s How Do You Do LP when it hits stores October 11, and stay tuned for further entries in the singer’s online series.
Written by richard on 08/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.