Men will put up with a lot (and I mean a lot) for an alluring enough female but, of course, everyone has his limits. On new single (and Mayer Mondays entry #2) The Walk, old-school soul revivalist Mayer Hawthorne, describes the moment he saw through the luxurious hair, the “cocoa-butter skin,” and (especially) the high-heeled stride to realize that a certain woman was bad news. Backed by his own blissfully mellow, brass-laced production, the artist describes how his initial enchantment with the girl in question curdled into disgust as he learned what she was like on the inside. And since, in this post-F*ck You music game, every throwback soul banger needs some salty language, Hawthorne doesn’t neglect to toss a few quarters in the swear jar, crooning, “From the moment that I met you, I thought you were fine / But your sh*tty f*ckin’ attitude has got me changin’ my mind.” Has this bitter yet tuneful selection left you craving more? Then be sure to cop Hawthorne’s How Do You Do LP when it hits stores October 11, and stay tuned for further entries in the singer’s online series.
Written by richard on 08/30/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.