Having captured listeners’ attention with lead single Her Favorite Song and the Father’s Day-themed Reach Out Richard (which I’ve adopted as my official theme song), Mayer Hawthone continues to build anticipation for his senior set with The Stars Are Ours. A recent interview revealed that Hawthorne and frequent collaborator Pharrell Willams (co-producer of the record in conjunction with Andrew Cohen) share a passion for Steely Dan, and nowhere is that influence more clear than on this cut, a bluesy, ‘70s-inspired rocker boasting intricate guitar work and a knotty vocal melody. Like what you’re hearing? More retro, yet forward-looking jams await on Where Does This Door Go, dropping July 16, via Universal Republic.
Written by richard on 06/18/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.