Last October I found myself watching Kanye West’s mini movie We Were Once a Fairytale, but it wasn’t just the crazy Spike Jonze visuals that had me intrigued. After some Googling I discovered that the soundtrack was not from some ‘60s singer as I assumed, but from modern day crooner Mayer Hawthorne. Since then I’ve eagerly pressed play on any of the relatively rare new Hawthorne tracks that pop up, including today’s offering No Strings. Produced by Classixx, who devises a mellow beat with light drums, catchy keys and what I assume is a xylophone, lyrically Mayer is as openly honest as most men only wish they could be, asking for the companionship of a certain lovely lady, but only if he doesn’t have to call her the next day. It’s not the most romantic of sentiments, but delivered in Hawthorne’s soothing singing style, I’m sure more than a couple ladies will find themselves compelled to take up his offer. No Strings isn’t (yet) set to appear on any project but it is a promo single for Hawthorne’s upcoming Mazda2 Promo Tour, starting this fall.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.