Last October I found myself watching Kanye West’s mini movie We Were Once a Fairytale, but it wasn’t just the crazy Spike Jonze visuals that had me intrigued. After some Googling I discovered that the soundtrack was not from some ‘60s singer as I assumed, but from modern day crooner Mayer Hawthorne. Since then I’ve eagerly pressed play on any of the relatively rare new Hawthorne tracks that pop up, including today’s offering No Strings. Produced by Classixx, who devises a mellow beat with light drums, catchy keys and what I assume is a xylophone, lyrically Mayer is as openly honest as most men only wish they could be, asking for the companionship of a certain lovely lady, but only if he doesn’t have to call her the next day. It’s not the most romantic of sentiments, but delivered in Hawthorne’s soothing singing style, I’m sure more than a couple ladies will find themselves compelled to take up his offer. No Strings isn’t (yet) set to appear on any project but it is a promo single for Hawthorne’s upcoming Mazda2 Promo Tour, starting this fall.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.