Last October I found myself watching Kanye West’s mini movie We Were Once a Fairytale, but it wasn’t just the crazy Spike Jonze visuals that had me intrigued. After some Googling I discovered that the soundtrack was not from some ‘60s singer as I assumed, but from modern day crooner Mayer Hawthorne. Since then I’ve eagerly pressed play on any of the relatively rare new Hawthorne tracks that pop up, including today’s offering No Strings. Produced by Classixx, who devises a mellow beat with light drums, catchy keys and what I assume is a xylophone, lyrically Mayer is as openly honest as most men only wish they could be, asking for the companionship of a certain lovely lady, but only if he doesn’t have to call her the next day. It’s not the most romantic of sentiments, but delivered in Hawthorne’s soothing singing style, I’m sure more than a couple ladies will find themselves compelled to take up his offer. No Strings isn’t (yet) set to appear on any project but it is a promo single for Hawthorne’s upcoming Mazda2 Promo Tour, starting this fall.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.