Last October I found myself watching Kanye West’s mini movie We Were Once a Fairytale, but it wasn’t just the crazy Spike Jonze visuals that had me intrigued. After some Googling I discovered that the soundtrack was not from some ‘60s singer as I assumed, but from modern day crooner Mayer Hawthorne. Since then I’ve eagerly pressed play on any of the relatively rare new Hawthorne tracks that pop up, including today’s offering No Strings. Produced by Classixx, who devises a mellow beat with light drums, catchy keys and what I assume is a xylophone, lyrically Mayer is as openly honest as most men only wish they could be, asking for the companionship of a certain lovely lady, but only if he doesn’t have to call her the next day. It’s not the most romantic of sentiments, but delivered in Hawthorne’s soothing singing style, I’m sure more than a couple ladies will find themselves compelled to take up his offer. No Strings isn’t (yet) set to appear on any project but it is a promo single for Hawthorne’s upcoming Mazda2 Promo Tour, starting this fall.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.