From firsthand experience, I know that Mayer Hawthorne‘s infectious melodies and upbeat grooves can make a dope night on the town even better. But the Universal Republic soul man doesn’t just want to make music for the good times; he also aspires to be the kind of artist who can pick you up while you’re down. On the lead single off his senior album, he imagines a female listener bumping him in her headphones after being stood up on a date: “When she gets home, she puts her headphones on, she plays Her Favorite Song, and fades away.” Featuring gritty guitar/bass riffs and light electronic flourishes, this joint is somewhat of a departure from the throwback sound of previous hits, but Hawthorne’s silky-smooth falsetto, accompanied by the airy backing vocals of Jessie Ware, retains its timeless appeal. Like what you’re hearing? Then watch our pages for more leading up to the July 16, arrival of Hawthorne’s fourth full-length, Where Does This Door Go
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.