From firsthand experience, I know that Mayer Hawthorne‘s infectious melodies and upbeat grooves can make a dope night on the town even better. But the Universal Republic soul man doesn’t just want to make music for the good times; he also aspires to be the kind of artist who can pick you up while you’re down. On the lead single off his senior album, he imagines a female listener bumping him in her headphones after being stood up on a date: “When she gets home, she puts her headphones on, she plays Her Favorite Song, and fades away.” Featuring gritty guitar/bass riffs and light electronic flourishes, this joint is somewhat of a departure from the throwback sound of previous hits, but Hawthorne’s silky-smooth falsetto, accompanied by the airy backing vocals of Jessie Ware, retains its timeless appeal. Like what you’re hearing? Then watch our pages for more leading up to the July 16, arrival of Hawthorne’s fourth full-length, Where Does This Door Go
Written by richard on 05/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.