One good remix deserves another, right? Chromeo certainly seem to think so. After Mayer Hawthorne put his spin on the electro-funk duo’s When the Night Falls, P-Thugg and Dave-1 decided to return the favor with a cutting-edge revamp of the Booth-acclaimed crooner’s sunny, 70’s-soul informed A Long Time. (Disclaimer: I only used the adjective “cutting-edge” because I’m pretending to write this track review from the mid-‘80s—and yes, I’m rocking a Miami Vice mustache and a pastel power suit for authenticity). While Hawthorne’s warm instrumental stylings were perfectly suited to the record’s subject matter—the record was a tribute to Detroit’s illustrious past, as exemplified by Henry Ford and Motown founder Barry Gordy—Chromeo make up in grooveitude what their version loses in era-appropriateness, backing the singer’s falsetto vocals with funky synth stabs, driving four-on-the-floor percussion, and a dash of Roger Troutman-style talkbox. Digging it? You can expect more Hawthorne-related freshness every #MayerHawthorneMonday leading up to the October 11, arrival of the singer’s sophomore set, How Do You Do.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.