One good remix deserves another, right? Chromeo certainly seem to think so. After Mayer Hawthorne put his spin on the electro-funk duo’s When the Night Falls, P-Thugg and Dave-1 decided to return the favor with a cutting-edge revamp of the Booth-acclaimed crooner’s sunny, 70’s-soul informed A Long Time. (Disclaimer: I only used the adjective “cutting-edge” because I’m pretending to write this track review from the mid-‘80s—and yes, I’m rocking a Miami Vice mustache and a pastel power suit for authenticity). While Hawthorne’s warm instrumental stylings were perfectly suited to the record’s subject matter—the record was a tribute to Detroit’s illustrious past, as exemplified by Henry Ford and Motown founder Barry Gordy—Chromeo make up in grooveitude what their version loses in era-appropriateness, backing the singer’s falsetto vocals with funky synth stabs, driving four-on-the-floor percussion, and a dash of Roger Troutman-style talkbox. Digging it? You can expect more Hawthorne-related freshness every #MayerHawthorneMonday leading up to the October 11, arrival of the singer’s sophomore set, How Do You Do.
Written by richard on 08/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.