One good remix deserves another, right? Chromeo certainly seem to think so. After Mayer Hawthorne put his spin on the electro-funk duo’s When the Night Falls, P-Thugg and Dave-1 decided to return the favor with a cutting-edge revamp of the Booth-acclaimed crooner’s sunny, 70’s-soul informed A Long Time. (Disclaimer: I only used the adjective “cutting-edge” because I’m pretending to write this track review from the mid-‘80s—and yes, I’m rocking a Miami Vice mustache and a pastel power suit for authenticity). While Hawthorne’s warm instrumental stylings were perfectly suited to the record’s subject matter—the record was a tribute to Detroit’s illustrious past, as exemplified by Henry Ford and Motown founder Barry Gordy—Chromeo make up in grooveitude what their version loses in era-appropriateness, backing the singer’s falsetto vocals with funky synth stabs, driving four-on-the-floor percussion, and a dash of Roger Troutman-style talkbox. Digging it? You can expect more Hawthorne-related freshness every #MayerHawthorneMonday leading up to the October 11, arrival of the singer’s sophomore set, How Do You Do.
Written by richard on 08/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Active Balanced (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.