You could always tell which middle school kids would still be into Hip-Hop 10 or 20 years later. If you saw a kid beatbox, use pens on the desk like drumsticks, or pound hands on the gym floor, someone who could dance or rap wasn’t far. ¡MAYDAY! and MURS, together known as ¡MURSDAY!, were those kids. On the first joint single from their upcoming self-titled LP, Bernz, Wrekonize, and MURS trade bars over a simple yet dynamic beat that the talented kids could have made in Band class while goofing around. Each of them takes the incoming class of emcees back to school in a Beastie Boys fashion, with a group emphasis on the last word of each line. Today’s lesson: “If you got that funk then swing, monkey / if not, then put them bars down.” ¡MURSDAY! is due out June 10, via Strange Music.
UPDATE: We’ve added the Mike Marasco directed visuals for Tabletops.
Written by Bryan H on 04/22/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.