Either the haters are getting really lazy or ¡MAYDAY!‘s latest mixtape is a genuinely flawless musical masterpiece; more than two months after its release, Lords of the Fly has yet to receive a single reader rating below five stars. Whatever the case may be, Midi Mafia have boldly set out to improve upon greatness with their brand new remix of the Panhandle State crew’s current single, They Told Me. Here, the Brooklynites trade the original’s upbeat but contemplative groove for something a little harder-edged. While the Mafia’s furious breakbeat and scorching synth-bass arpeggios up the danceability factor considerably, those who aren’t too busy getting down to listen to the verses will find that Wrek, Bernbiz and company’s philosophical bars hit home as hard as ever, as do Big Apple vet N.O.R.E.‘s slightly less cerebral, but equally entertaining guest rhymes (“My balls bounce – U.S. Open.”). How does this version stack up against the original? That’s for you to decide – and, if you need a refresher, why not mosey on down to our mixtape page, where Lords of the Fly is still available for free streaming and download?
Written by richard on 12/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.