Earlier this month, Strange Music hip-hop ensemble ¡MAYDAY! took home their first Best of the Booth trophy; their Believers LP earned our readers’ vote for Best Indie Hip Hop Album of 2013. As for what they’re doing to celebrate, do you even have to ask? On That Jack, the latest single off the set, finds the Florida natives toasting their success with a tall glass of their favorite spirit. Gianni Ca$h departs from the group’s usual rock-informed soundscapes on the production tip, instead backing his colleagues’ tipsy bars with grimy drums, vocal samples and hypnotic bell loops. Crewmates Bernz and Wrek direct the accompanying visuals in collaboration with animator Campion J. Kirkham. Feeling it? You can find Jack, previous single Mortuary Mary and much more on the group’s award-winning sophomore set, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/8/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.