“Dedicated to the fallen, and those still running in their name.” In the new Navas Brothers-directed video for ¡MAYDAY!‘s Marathon Man, the visual layering over the various members of the Miami band stresses the possible interpretations of the music. While Wrekonize sings his verses and Bernz raps a robotic hook, you notice the juxtaposition of fast paced computer graphics flashing by and the dragging drum line and piano melody. The lyrics can refer to the rat race that we’re all stuck in, except for Puff Daddy and a handful of others, or you can take them, namely in the second verse, to evoke the horror of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Then for the final minute, you’re hit with a guitar solo and matching psychedelic effects of a dancer to simulate that “runner’s high.” Marathon Man can be found on the group’s impressive ‘13 album, Believers, an appropriate prelude to their next release, a collaboration with fellow Strange Music artist MURS, appropriately called ¡MursDay!.
Written by Bryan H on 04/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.