“Dedicated to the fallen, and those still running in their name.” In the new Navas Brothers-directed video for ¡MAYDAY!‘s Marathon Man, the visual layering over the various members of the Miami band stresses the possible interpretations of the music. While Wrekonize sings his verses and Bernz raps a robotic hook, you notice the juxtaposition of fast paced computer graphics flashing by and the dragging drum line and piano melody. The lyrics can refer to the rat race that we’re all stuck in, except for Puff Daddy and a handful of others, or you can take them, namely in the second verse, to evoke the horror of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Then for the final minute, you’re hit with a guitar solo and matching psychedelic effects of a dancer to simulate that “runner’s high.” Marathon Man can be found on the group’s impressive ‘13 album, Believers, an appropriate prelude to their next release, a collaboration with fellow Strange Music artist MURS, appropriately called ¡MursDay!.
Written by Bryan H on 04/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.