While the competitive, often cutthroat nature of the music game can’t be denied, the struggle to establish oneself as an artist is as much a battle with one’s inner demons as it is a fight against one’s rivals. Luckily, Booth-acclaimed crew ¡MAYDAY! have both the skills and the will to succeed—along with some formidable connects. The latest single off their highly-anticipated Strange Music debut, Internal Wars sees the Miami live-band crew donning their riot gear alongside a couple equally talented underground compatriots. Crew member Plex Luthor turns in a characteristically nuanced effort behind the boards, layering moody synths over a subdued yet driving rhythm section as Wrekonize (a 2011 Best of the Booth Reader Pick!), Bernbiz and company sketch out a grisly picture of the industry: “No ceilings, just killing fields and record deals / Young’ns getting slaughtered on the field of the dollar in the hopes of mass appeal.” Dead prez rhymesayer M1 and Boston underground mainstay REKS assist, contributing steely-eyed guest rhymes to the record’s back end. No doubt about it; ¡MAYDAY! are armed and dangerous. If you’re digging this cut, stay tuned for more hard-hitting tunes leading up to their arrival of Take Me to Your Leader this spring.
Written by richard on 01/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.