While the competitive, often cutthroat nature of the music game can’t be denied, the struggle to establish oneself as an artist is as much a battle with one’s inner demons as it is a fight against one’s rivals. Luckily, Booth-acclaimed crew ¡MAYDAY! have both the skills and the will to succeed—along with some formidable connects. The latest single off their highly-anticipated Strange Music debut, Internal Wars sees the Miami live-band crew donning their riot gear alongside a couple equally talented underground compatriots. Crew member Plex Luthor turns in a characteristically nuanced effort behind the boards, layering moody synths over a subdued yet driving rhythm section as Wrekonize (a 2011 Best of the Booth Reader Pick!), Bernbiz and company sketch out a grisly picture of the industry: “No ceilings, just killing fields and record deals / Young’ns getting slaughtered on the field of the dollar in the hopes of mass appeal.” Dead prez rhymesayer M1 and Boston underground mainstay REKS assist, contributing steely-eyed guest rhymes to the record’s back end. No doubt about it; ¡MAYDAY! are armed and dangerous. If you’re digging this cut, stay tuned for more hard-hitting tunes leading up to their arrival of Take Me to Your Leader this spring.
Written by richard on 01/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.