Featured back in January, ¡MAYDAY!‘s Highs & Lows was a pop-appealing, (relatively) upbeat ode to self-medication. As we all know, every action has its equal and opposite reaction – and it’s only appropriate that the unreleased cut’s official remix spotlight the record’s darker undertones. Crew member Plex Luthor serves up a radically stripped-down take on his original instrumental, overlaying a narcotized bassline with atmospheric synth and guitar accents as Wrek and Bernbiz spit about the seductive pleasures of mood-altering chemicals. Taking Ace Hood‘s place on the guest tip are two certified Booth faves (both of whom rocked the stage at Booth-sponsored SXSW showcase The Rising); Philly street veteran and freestyle series alumnus Freeway guests on the middle, attacking the joint with his trademark aggressive flows, and Champion Rizla emcee J. NiCS rounds out the lineup, lending his gravelly vocal stylings to the penultimate 16. Time for the big question: how does this stark rendition stack up against the original? Regardless of which you prefer, you can count on the Booth to being you all the latest from these Panhandle State innovators.
Written by richard on 04/7/11
Miami live-band hip-hop crew ¡MAYDAY! have come together with The DJBooth, Strange Music and Monster Energy to bring listeners their latest mixtape, Smash & Grab. Clocking in at 78 minutes in total, the DJ Green...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.