Featured back in January, ¡MAYDAY!‘s Highs & Lows was a pop-appealing, (relatively) upbeat ode to self-medication. As we all know, every action has its equal and opposite reaction – and it’s only appropriate that the unreleased cut’s official remix spotlight the record’s darker undertones. Crew member Plex Luthor serves up a radically stripped-down take on his original instrumental, overlaying a narcotized bassline with atmospheric synth and guitar accents as Wrek and Bernbiz spit about the seductive pleasures of mood-altering chemicals. Taking Ace Hood‘s place on the guest tip are two certified Booth faves (both of whom rocked the stage at Booth-sponsored SXSW showcase The Rising); Philly street veteran and freestyle series alumnus Freeway guests on the middle, attacking the joint with his trademark aggressive flows, and Champion Rizla emcee J. NiCS rounds out the lineup, lending his gravelly vocal stylings to the penultimate 16. Time for the big question: how does this stark rendition stack up against the original? Regardless of which you prefer, you can count on the Booth to being you all the latest from these Panhandle State innovators.
Written by richard on 04/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.