When I saw the title of Bronx singer Maxine Ashley‘s Booth debut, Glory Box, I didn’t expect it to be a cover of the Portishead cut of the same name. After all, who has the chops to do justice to that legendary tune? Well, Maxine Ashley for one. Ashley manages to keep the raw, sultry vibe of the original, but still puts her own spin on the record. Over Kerry “Krucial’ Brothers’s subtle flip of the original instrumental, Ashley showcases a silky vocal style that really cuts through the beat’s moody vibe. Glory Box is the first release off Ashley’s Moodswings EP, due out September 17.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/5/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.