After suffering through one of the most intense winters in recent memory, every drop of sunlight feels like a gift from the powers that be. When Max Wonders says he’s been Praying for Blue Skies on his latest single, though, he’s got something more profound than the weather in mind. This freshly-minted mixtape cut finds the Windy City rapper/producer tracing his understanding of mortality through various stages of his childhood, moving from his grandmother’s death when he was nine to his teenage brushes with drugs and gang violence. The subject matter he grapples with over his own atmospheric sample work is heavy, but he closes the record on a hopeful note: “I still wonder if I’ll make to it to my 80s / If I do you better play this for my grandbabies / Show em that I made all of this history fun / Misery never won.” The Wonder Tape has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.