After suffering through one of the most intense winters in recent memory, every drop of sunlight feels like a gift from the powers that be. When Max Wonders says he’s been Praying for Blue Skies on his latest single, though, he’s got something more profound than the weather in mind. This freshly-minted mixtape cut finds the Windy City rapper/producer tracing his understanding of mortality through various stages of his childhood, moving from his grandmother’s death when he was nine to his teenage brushes with drugs and gang violence. The subject matter he grapples with over his own atmospheric sample work is heavy, but he closes the record on a hopeful note: “I still wonder if I’ll make to it to my 80s / If I do you better play this for my grandbabies / Show em that I made all of this history fun / Misery never won.” The Wonder Tape has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.