After suffering through one of the most intense winters in recent memory, every drop of sunlight feels like a gift from the powers that be. When Max Wonders says he’s been Praying for Blue Skies on his latest single, though, he’s got something more profound than the weather in mind. This freshly-minted mixtape cut finds the Windy City rapper/producer tracing his understanding of mortality through various stages of his childhood, moving from his grandmother’s death when he was nine to his teenage brushes with drugs and gang violence. The subject matter he grapples with over his own atmospheric sample work is heavy, but he closes the record on a hopeful note: “I still wonder if I’ll make to it to my 80s / If I do you better play this for my grandbabies / Show em that I made all of this history fun / Misery never won.” The Wonder Tape has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.