After suffering through one of the most intense winters in recent memory, every drop of sunlight feels like a gift from the powers that be. When Max Wonders says he’s been Praying for Blue Skies on his latest single, though, he’s got something more profound than the weather in mind. This freshly-minted mixtape cut finds the Windy City rapper/producer tracing his understanding of mortality through various stages of his childhood, moving from his grandmother’s death when he was nine to his teenage brushes with drugs and gang violence. The subject matter he grapples with over his own atmospheric sample work is heavy, but he closes the record on a hopeful note: “I still wonder if I’ll make to it to my 80s / If I do you better play this for my grandbabies / Show em that I made all of this history fun / Misery never won.” The Wonder Tape has yet to receive a solid drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.