It’s been a while—more than four years, in fact—since Matisyahu last stepped into The DJBooth with a new feature, but you shouldn’t take that to mean the Orthodox Jewish reggae phenom’s inspiration has dried up. Just the opposite; he’s got more fresh ideas than the immense Reservoir in NYC’s Central Park has fresh water. On single numero uno off his fifth full-length, that familiar feature of the Big Apple landscape serves as a metaphor for the “desire for closure and completeness” that drives the artist’s spiritual journey. As Matisyahu passionately pours out his gratitude to Ha Kodesh Baruch Hu (The Holy Blessed One), he receives instrumental support from an ensemble of musicians whom he worked with in the early stages of his career; guitarist Aaron Dugan, keyboardist Rob Marscher, bassist Stu Brooks and drummer Mark Giuliana pool their talents to create the record’s stirring backdrop. Akeda has yet to receive a drop date from the Fallen Sparks brass. Fans can, of course, keep their browsers locked to the Booth for the latest on the forthcoming LP.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.