It’s been a while—more than four years, in fact—since Matisyahu last stepped into The DJBooth with a new feature, but you shouldn’t take that to mean the Orthodox Jewish reggae phenom’s inspiration has dried up. Just the opposite; he’s got more fresh ideas than the immense Reservoir in NYC’s Central Park has fresh water. On single numero uno off his fifth full-length, that familiar feature of the Big Apple landscape serves as a metaphor for the “desire for closure and completeness” that drives the artist’s spiritual journey. As Matisyahu passionately pours out his gratitude to Ha Kodesh Baruch Hu (The Holy Blessed One), he receives instrumental support from an ensemble of musicians whom he worked with in the early stages of his career; guitarist Aaron Dugan, keyboardist Rob Marscher, bassist Stu Brooks and drummer Mark Giuliana pool their talents to create the record’s stirring backdrop. Akeda has yet to receive a drop date from the Fallen Sparks brass. Fans can, of course, keep their browsers locked to the Booth for the latest on the forthcoming LP.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.