Chris Mathien‘s last solo feature, released in mid-April, saw the Chicago singer/songwriter addressing a girl who turned him from a man into something more like a stone. Clearly, that catharsis helped him break back out of his shell, as follow-up Soul Down and I is every bit as openhearted and emotionally potent as the title suggests. Over a folk-infused arrangement in 6/8, Mathien expresses his longing for a certain woman in poetic verses. Bert Swiderski assists on harmonica. Soul Down and I isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 06/12/14
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.