Chris Mathien‘s last solo feature, released in mid-April, saw the Chicago singer/songwriter addressing a girl who turned him from a man into something more like a stone. Clearly, that catharsis helped him break back out of his shell, as follow-up Soul Down and I is every bit as openhearted and emotionally potent as the title suggests. Over a folk-infused arrangement in 6/8, Mathien expresses his longing for a certain woman in poetic verses. Bert Swiderski assists on harmonica. Soul Down and I isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 06/12/14
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)