Chris Mathien has made himself relatively scarce in the Booth of late; mid-August’s The Iceberg was his first solo feature since March. As is often the case, there was more to his absence than met the eye. Recently, a “terrible experience involving MDMA” sent the Chicago singer/songwriter and producer to the hospital, where he resolved to give up drugs and alcohol. With three weeks of sobriety under his belt, he’s feeling more inspired than ever—a fact which comes through loud and clear in his latest promo single. Over his own effortlessly catchy, breakbeat-driven production, Mathien administers a lyrical pep talk that resonates strongly with his own situation: “You can go on the way you were, livin your life in a f**kin’ blur, but I’d rather see you Shine than fall behind.” This uplifting joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans can keep it locked for the latest as Chris Mathien embarks on the latest phase of his career.
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!