Chris Mathien has made himself relatively scarce in the Booth of late; mid-August’s The Iceberg was his first solo feature since March. As is often the case, there was more to his absence than met the eye. Recently, a “terrible experience involving MDMA” sent the Chicago singer/songwriter and producer to the hospital, where he resolved to give up drugs and alcohol. With three weeks of sobriety under his belt, he’s feeling more inspired than ever—a fact which comes through loud and clear in his latest promo single. Over his own effortlessly catchy, breakbeat-driven production, Mathien administers a lyrical pep talk that resonates strongly with his own situation: “You can go on the way you were, livin your life in a f**kin’ blur, but I’d rather see you Shine than fall behind.” This uplifting joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans can keep it locked for the latest as Chris Mathien embarks on the latest phase of his career.
Written by richard on 08/29/13
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.