Chris Mathien has made himself relatively scarce in the Booth of late; mid-August’s The Iceberg was his first solo feature since March. As is often the case, there was more to his absence than met the eye. Recently, a “terrible experience involving MDMA” sent the Chicago singer/songwriter and producer to the hospital, where he resolved to give up drugs and alcohol. With three weeks of sobriety under his belt, he’s feeling more inspired than ever—a fact which comes through loud and clear in his latest promo single. Over his own effortlessly catchy, breakbeat-driven production, Mathien administers a lyrical pep talk that resonates strongly with his own situation: “You can go on the way you were, livin your life in a f**kin’ blur, but I’d rather see you Shine than fall behind.” This uplifting joint isn’t attached to a larger project, but fans can keep it locked for the latest as Chris Mathien embarks on the latest phase of his career.
Written by richard on 08/29/13
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)