Got any mind-altering substances handy? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating the use of psychedelic drugs, I’m just saying, if you want to fully understand the first collaborative feature from emcee Neak and singer/songwriter/producer Chris Mathien... yeah, you might actually want want to take some psychedelic drugs. Inspired by (and named after) Daniel Pinchbeck’s early-2000s book on modern shamanism, new promo single Breaking Open the Head finds the Chitown natives embarking upon a cosmic journey into the depths of their psyches—and what they find there is far-out, to say the least. Mathien handles production duties, blending classic psychedelic-rock guitar riffage and live percussion into a trippy backdrop for some surreal lyrical imagery; expanding upon the record’s title, he recounts “I watched my cranium open up wide and various animals are re-released into the wild.” His partner-in-rhyme (a freestyle alum) gets metaphysical on the front, inviting listeners to “...open your soul and find your joy within a higher love.” This hallucinogenic banger isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest from both collaborators.
Written by richard on 06/1/11
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.