Got any mind-altering substances handy? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating the use of psychedelic drugs, I’m just saying, if you want to fully understand the first collaborative feature from emcee Neak and singer/songwriter/producer Chris Mathien... yeah, you might actually want want to take some psychedelic drugs. Inspired by (and named after) Daniel Pinchbeck’s early-2000s book on modern shamanism, new promo single Breaking Open the Head finds the Chitown natives embarking upon a cosmic journey into the depths of their psyches—and what they find there is far-out, to say the least. Mathien handles production duties, blending classic psychedelic-rock guitar riffage and live percussion into a trippy backdrop for some surreal lyrical imagery; expanding upon the record’s title, he recounts “I watched my cranium open up wide and various animals are re-released into the wild.” His partner-in-rhyme (a freestyle alum) gets metaphysical on the front, inviting listeners to “...open your soul and find your joy within a higher love.” This hallucinogenic banger isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest from both collaborators.
Written by richard on 06/1/11
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.