I’m pretty sure that no one’s referred to the Internet as the “information superhighway” since 1999, but now I’m almost tempted to revive the phrase – let’s just say that, with the Booth’s knack for inspiring cross-country collaborations, we’re kinda like the online-musical equivalent of Route 66. Making its world premiere on our front page, this cut finds Chi-town singer/songwriter Chris Mathien hooking up with an L.A.-based Booth favorite (and freestyle series alum) Shane Eli to craft a breezy ode to fall in the City of Angels. After a squelching electronic intro that momentarily had me wondering whether my speakers were functioning correctly, Mathien begins the record in earnest, describing his trip west over a tropically mellow mix of synths and acoustic-guitar strumming. On the middle verse, Eli puts his own spin on the scenario, stepping into the shoes of a visitor to his hometown – the place “...where America comes to bring dreams to life.” (L.A. Tourism Board, are you listening?) This Booth-exclusive joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can expect plenty more from both Mathien and Eli in the near future – keep it locked!
Written by richard on 10/19/10
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.