I’m pretty sure that no one’s referred to the Internet as the “information superhighway” since 1999, but now I’m almost tempted to revive the phrase – let’s just say that, with the Booth’s knack for inspiring cross-country collaborations, we’re kinda like the online-musical equivalent of Route 66. Making its world premiere on our front page, this cut finds Chi-town singer/songwriter Chris Mathien hooking up with an L.A.-based Booth favorite (and freestyle series alum) Shane Eli to craft a breezy ode to fall in the City of Angels. After a squelching electronic intro that momentarily had me wondering whether my speakers were functioning correctly, Mathien begins the record in earnest, describing his trip west over a tropically mellow mix of synths and acoustic-guitar strumming. On the middle verse, Eli puts his own spin on the scenario, stepping into the shoes of a visitor to his hometown – the place “...where America comes to bring dreams to life.” (L.A. Tourism Board, are you listening?) This Booth-exclusive joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can expect plenty more from both Mathien and Eli in the near future – keep it locked!
Written by richard on 10/19/10
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.