Ninety-nine times out of a hundred—despite what concerned family members may insist—there’s nothing particularly frightening about taking public transportation in a major city. But there are those occasions, usually in the wee hours of the morning, when things start to get a little… weird. On new single Devils in the Chi, singer/songwriter/producer Mathien evokes that feeling of creeping disquiet that takes hold when you realize you’re the only one on the train not crazy, severely intoxicated and/or looking to start something. As usual, Chris does his thing on both sides of the mixing boards; backed by his own funky, Caribbean-accented guitar grooves, the Windy City Renaissance musician expresses distress at his sinister surroundings. Naturally, his mind wanders to the worst potentiality: “And if a man pulls a pistol, nothing to do about that / Don’t wanna wait to find out if he got bullets in the gun.” Topped off with some grimy soloing and a moody, sampled reggae outro, this eerie yet high-energy jam isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project. Those feeling it, however, can stay tuned for all the latest news and tunes from Mathien.
Written by richard on 03/27/12
Submit your Rating
Midwest Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Gloves (No Quit)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.