By a show of hands, how many of you listened to Kanye‘s Power for the first time and immediately thought, “This is dope.. but it would be even better as an R&B song!” I obviously can’t see you, but I’m going to hazard a guess that the number is, oh, somewhere around zero. Well, here to give us what none of us knew we wanted is up-and-coming crooner Mateo, with an innovative reimagining of the MBDTF lead single. Grammy-winning producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers crafts a beat that, though understated, captures the grandeur of the original instrumental, layering atmospheric synths over ‘ye and S1‘s sampled chants as the L.A. native soulfully riffs on West’s lyrics. For the final third, two Booth-approved guests steer the cut back into hip-hop territory; G.O.O.D. Music repper Pusha T and Cali up-and-comer Ab-Liva engage in a little deadpan line-trading, reveling in their riches and pulling the plug on the haters. So, does this creative makeover do the original joint justice? If you’re leaning towards “Yes,” you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Mateo’s Love and Stadiums mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Underneath the Sky ft. Shawn Chrystopher" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.