By a show of hands, how many of you listened to Kanye‘s Power for the first time and immediately thought, “This is dope.. but it would be even better as an R&B song!” I obviously can’t see you, but I’m going to hazard a guess that the number is, oh, somewhere around zero. Well, here to give us what none of us knew we wanted is up-and-coming crooner Mateo, with an innovative reimagining of the MBDTF lead single. Grammy-winning producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers crafts a beat that, though understated, captures the grandeur of the original instrumental, layering atmospheric synths over ‘ye and S1‘s sampled chants as the L.A. native soulfully riffs on West’s lyrics. For the final third, two Booth-approved guests steer the cut back into hip-hop territory; G.O.O.D. Music repper Pusha T and Cali up-and-comer Ab-Liva engage in a little deadpan line-trading, reveling in their riches and pulling the plug on the haters. So, does this creative makeover do the original joint justice? If you’re leaning towards “Yes,” you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Mateo’s Love and Stadiums mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Underneath the Sky ft. Shawn Chrystopher" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)