By a show of hands, how many of you listened to Kanye‘s Power for the first time and immediately thought, “This is dope.. but it would be even better as an R&B song!” I obviously can’t see you, but I’m going to hazard a guess that the number is, oh, somewhere around zero. Well, here to give us what none of us knew we wanted is up-and-coming crooner Mateo, with an innovative reimagining of the MBDTF lead single. Grammy-winning producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers crafts a beat that, though understated, captures the grandeur of the original instrumental, layering atmospheric synths over ‘ye and S1‘s sampled chants as the L.A. native soulfully riffs on West’s lyrics. For the final third, two Booth-approved guests steer the cut back into hip-hop territory; G.O.O.D. Music repper Pusha T and Cali up-and-comer Ab-Liva engage in a little deadpan line-trading, reveling in their riches and pulling the plug on the haters. So, does this creative makeover do the original joint justice? If you’re leaning towards “Yes,” you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Mateo’s Love and Stadiums mixtape, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Underneath the Sky ft. Shawn Chrystopher" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.