Being that the label is run by the world’s primary social networking site, you’d expect the artists on MySpace Records to be on the cutting edge of both musical and technological trends. That assumption certainly holds true for Mateo, an R&B singer with an ethereal sound that’s both retro and forward-looking. In addition to setting the record for longest song title in Booth history, Oohh N Love (Evolution of a Track: Step 2 – Drums) may be received as one of the best indie R&B tracks to hit our frontpage to date. The combination of Mateo’s soft tenor voice and Adam Blackstone & JL Brown‘s heavenly-sounding beat will doubtless elicit comparisons to a few of the genre’s legends (Maxwell and Boyz II Men come to mind here). Mateo and the MySpace brass are clearly well aware of this cut’s potential—Oohh N Love is the only original track on the singer’s Underneath The Sky Ch. 2 mixtape (available now for free download), and will also be included on his yet-untitled debut album (set to drop in the fourth quarter of ‘09).
Written by Burmy on 06/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Underneath the Sky ft. Shawn Chrystopher" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.