Though Mateo was only recently signed to MySpace Records, the Booth newcomer is already showing signs of sky-high ambition—case in point: the singer’s latest mixtape, the Mick Boogie-presented Underneath the Sky (Ch. 1), marks the beginning of an ongoing storyline, to be further explored in future mixtapes and videos. The newly-released title track and single doesn’t do much to explain what this story is about (I’m thinking it has something to do with love), but it should certainly get listeners’ attention. Over JL Brown‘s sweeping, handclap-accented synthscape, Mateo soulfully addresses a woman who can’t seem to find direction in life; later on, the instrumental shifts gears as Not Really Here emcee Shawn Chrystopher steps in with a few words of his own. If Underneath the Sky‘s got you hooked on Mateo’s unique conceptual vision, you’re in luck—Chapter 1 is available for free download here.
Written by richard on 03/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Oohh N Love (Evolution of a Track: Step 2 - Drums)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.