Though Mateo was only recently signed to MySpace Records, the Booth newcomer is already showing signs of sky-high ambition—case in point: the singer’s latest mixtape, the Mick Boogie-presented Underneath the Sky (Ch. 1), marks the beginning of an ongoing storyline, to be further explored in future mixtapes and videos. The newly-released title track and single doesn’t do much to explain what this story is about (I’m thinking it has something to do with love), but it should certainly get listeners’ attention. Over JL Brown‘s sweeping, handclap-accented synthscape, Mateo soulfully addresses a woman who can’t seem to find direction in life; later on, the instrumental shifts gears as Not Really Here emcee Shawn Chrystopher steps in with a few words of his own. If Underneath the Sky‘s got you hooked on Mateo’s unique conceptual vision, you’re in luck—Chapter 1 is available for free download here.
Written by richard on 03/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Oohh N Love (Evolution of a Track: Step 2 - Drums)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.