Countless artists and fans dream of seeing hip-hop return to its roots, but Booth newcomer Master Shortie has something decidedly different in mind when he announces that he’s “Bringin’ It Back to them old-school days.” As the UK singer/rapper explains on his latest single, his version of the old-school has less to do with classic beats and breaks than with Patrick Swayze and the Thundercats. Yep – this is an ‘80s-baby anthem through and through, from production Labrinth‘s synth-pop instrumental to the artist’s nostalgia-drenched verses, which should put smiles on the faces of anyone who grew up surrounded by the many cultural touchstones he name-drops. In an odd twist, Shortie admits he wasn’t actually there to experience the decade the first time around: “Back in the day, nothing fazed me. Why? I wasn’t even alive! I saw the ‘80s through my mother’s eyes.” All the more reason to bring it all back, I guess! Like what you’re hearing? This track and many more retro-informed bangers can be found on Master Shortie’s A.D.H.D.. LP, dropping January of next year via Hitz/Jive.
Written by richard on 08/1/10
Odd One Out
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Won't Stick Around" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.