Countless artists and fans dream of seeing hip-hop return to its roots, but Booth newcomer Master Shortie has something decidedly different in mind when he announces that he’s “Bringin’ It Back to them old-school days.” As the UK singer/rapper explains on his latest single, his version of the old-school has less to do with classic beats and breaks than with Patrick Swayze and the Thundercats. Yep – this is an ‘80s-baby anthem through and through, from production Labrinth‘s synth-pop instrumental to the artist’s nostalgia-drenched verses, which should put smiles on the faces of anyone who grew up surrounded by the many cultural touchstones he name-drops. In an odd twist, Shortie admits he wasn’t actually there to experience the decade the first time around: “Back in the day, nothing fazed me. Why? I wasn’t even alive! I saw the ‘80s through my mother’s eyes.” All the more reason to bring it all back, I guess! Like what you’re hearing? This track and many more retro-informed bangers can be found on Master Shortie’s A.D.H.D.. LP, dropping January of next year via Hitz/Jive.
Written by richard on 08/1/10
Submit your Rating
Odd One Out
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Won't Stick Around" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.