A Boston crooner with a uniquely ‘hood-influenced style (and a penchant for collabs with Maybach general Rick Ross), Masspike Miles has carved out a niche by catering to listeners who prefer their R&B with a little inner-city grit… until now, anyway. Whether a radio-ready departure from the norm or a harbinger of a stylistic sea change, new single Walked Away showcases a side of the singer not encountered on his previous features. Here, a currently-unknown producer’s crossover-courting guitar/piano production sets the mood as Masspike pours out his heart, informing us just how devastated he’s been since the woman he loved walked out of his life. Though his tears have dried up, he’s still struggling to put the pieces of his shattered world back together – in fact, he’s so devastated that he doesn’t know if he’ll ever be able to love again. While it’s hard to argue with this cut’s combo of heartfelt emotion and pop appeal, I’ll leave it to Booth readers to decide whether its more vulnerable vibe is a good look for Masspike Miles. If you’re digging it, keep it locked for release details on Miles’ The Struggle LP, which has yet to receive a drop date.
Written by richard on 02/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get It Together ft. Rick Ross" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.