Reader reviews of Mary J. Blige‘s latest single, I’m The One have been generally mixed thus far, with perhaps the bluntest criticism coming from our own DJ Z: “MJB with AutoTune is like Tiger Woods playing golf with a handicap = completely unnecessary.” Booth-heads who were somewhat underwhelmed will be glad to hear that she’s gone back to what she does best on this newly-released cut. In contrast to The One‘s female-empowerment theme, Do It Again finds MJB weak at the knees over a fella she just met (no lady is immune to the right man’s charm). While Drake‘s a relative greenhorn to big-name guest verses, T.I.‘s been doing this for quite some time, and his swagger meshes perfectly with The Stereotypes’ brass-percussion beat. Though it’s not clear whether Do It Again will be promoted as a dual single, it should pick up better feedback than last night’s feature, and give listeners a more accurate indication of the sound MJB will bring to Me, Myself, & Mary (or Technical Difficulties, according to some reports), set to drop August 25th.
Written by Burmy on 06/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride (I See the Future)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.