Strong-woman swagger has long been a female R&B staple, but few can match Mary J. Blige‘s streetwise assertiveness. On her latest single, the veteran singer engages in some, “I’m not sayin’ I’m the best, but I’m the best” braggadocio as she tells a fickle man what her devotees in the Booth and beyond already know: “I’m The One.” Blige’s crowd-pleasing brand of urban soul is backed by the time-tested production stylings of Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, whose midtempo, synth-heavy boardwork should have all the ladies and fellas stepping out onto the dancefloor. Booth favorite Drake jumps on board to provide moral support, rapping MJB’s praises in a studio-enhanced, pop-reference-peppered guest verse (I definitely wasn’t expecting a White Stripes namedrop) that won’t be appearing on the record’s official single version—it’s a bummer, I know. Regardless, ItO has no shortage of club appeal, and will certainly get its share of spins in anticipation of
Me, Myself & Mary
‘s Stronger With Each Tear winter release.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.