Strong-woman swagger has long been a female R&B staple, but few can match Mary J. Blige‘s streetwise assertiveness. On her latest single, the veteran singer engages in some, “I’m not sayin’ I’m the best, but I’m the best” braggadocio as she tells a fickle man what her devotees in the Booth and beyond already know: “I’m The One.” Blige’s crowd-pleasing brand of urban soul is backed by the time-tested production stylings of Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, whose midtempo, synth-heavy boardwork should have all the ladies and fellas stepping out onto the dancefloor. Booth favorite Drake jumps on board to provide moral support, rapping MJB’s praises in a studio-enhanced, pop-reference-peppered guest verse (I definitely wasn’t expecting a White Stripes namedrop) that won’t be appearing on the record’s official single version—it’s a bummer, I know. Regardless, ItO has no shortage of club appeal, and will certainly get its share of spins in anticipation of
Me, Myself & Mary
‘s Stronger With Each Tear winter release.
Written by richard on 06/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride " (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.