If Mary J. Blige and Rick Ross can’t make love work, what hope is there for the rest of us? OK, to be completely accurate, the relationship described on new single Why is - to my knowledge - one-hundred percent fictional. (I’ll leave it to y’all to debate whether the artists would be a perfect real-life match.). Performed last week on American Idol (where Blige was featured as a “mentor”), this cut finds Eric Hudson serving up a lush, bittersweet keyboard-led backdrop as the veteran R&B songstress narrates the disintegration of a once-promising relationship. Aware they’re caught in a rut (“We both said that we would change, but it’s all the same shade of gray.” ), she struggles to ascertain where exactly things went wrong. Ricky Rozay offers a male perspective on the guest tip, reminding MJB how she fell in love with his bedroom “technique” and his gwop, but ultimately leaving the decision in her hands: “You the dealer, cut the deck while we winning baby.” So, The DJBooth readers, does MJB’s latest selection sound like a hit? If you’re digging Why, there’s plenty more where this came from on the Booth-approved My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1) LP, available in stores and online as of last November.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.