If Mary J. Blige and Rick Ross can’t make love work, what hope is there for the rest of us? OK, to be completely accurate, the relationship described on new single Why is - to my knowledge - one-hundred percent fictional. (I’ll leave it to y’all to debate whether the artists would be a perfect real-life match.). Performed last week on American Idol (where Blige was featured as a “mentor”), this cut finds Eric Hudson serving up a lush, bittersweet keyboard-led backdrop as the veteran R&B songstress narrates the disintegration of a once-promising relationship. Aware they’re caught in a rut (“We both said that we would change, but it’s all the same shade of gray.” ), she struggles to ascertain where exactly things went wrong. Ricky Rozay offers a male perspective on the guest tip, reminding MJB how she fell in love with his bedroom “technique” and his gwop, but ultimately leaving the decision in her hands: “You the dealer, cut the deck while we winning baby.” So, The DJBooth readers, does MJB’s latest selection sound like a hit? If you’re digging Why, there’s plenty more where this came from on the Booth-approved My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1) LP, available in stores and online as of last November.
Written by richard on 03/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride " (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.