If Mary J. Blige and Rick Ross can’t make love work, what hope is there for the rest of us? OK, to be completely accurate, the relationship described on new single Why is - to my knowledge - one-hundred percent fictional. (I’ll leave it to y’all to debate whether the artists would be a perfect real-life match.). Performed last week on American Idol (where Blige was featured as a “mentor”), this cut finds Eric Hudson serving up a lush, bittersweet keyboard-led backdrop as the veteran R&B songstress narrates the disintegration of a once-promising relationship. Aware they’re caught in a rut (“We both said that we would change, but it’s all the same shade of gray.” ), she struggles to ascertain where exactly things went wrong. Ricky Rozay offers a male perspective on the guest tip, reminding MJB how she fell in love with his bedroom “technique” and his gwop, but ultimately leaving the decision in her hands: “You the dealer, cut the deck while we winning baby.” So, The DJBooth readers, does MJB’s latest selection sound like a hit? If you’re digging Why, there’s plenty more where this came from on the Booth-approved My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1) LP, available in stores and online as of last November.
Written by richard on 03/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride (I See the Future)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.