If Mary J. Blige and Rick Ross can’t make love work, what hope is there for the rest of us? OK, to be completely accurate, the relationship described on new single Why is - to my knowledge - one-hundred percent fictional. (I’ll leave it to y’all to debate whether the artists would be a perfect real-life match.). Performed last week on American Idol (where Blige was featured as a “mentor”), this cut finds Eric Hudson serving up a lush, bittersweet keyboard-led backdrop as the veteran R&B songstress narrates the disintegration of a once-promising relationship. Aware they’re caught in a rut (“We both said that we would change, but it’s all the same shade of gray.” ), she struggles to ascertain where exactly things went wrong. Ricky Rozay offers a male perspective on the guest tip, reminding MJB how she fell in love with his bedroom “technique” and his gwop, but ultimately leaving the decision in her hands: “You the dealer, cut the deck while we winning baby.” So, The DJBooth readers, does MJB’s latest selection sound like a hit? If you’re digging Why, there’s plenty more where this came from on the Booth-approved My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1) LP, available in stores and online as of last November.
Written by richard on 03/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride " (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.