When last we left Mary J. Blige, the veteran R&B songstress was head-over-heels for a guy so fantastic she wished she could break the laws of time and space and be with him 25/8. It sounded like she was in a damn good place romantically—but, um, sounds can be deceiving. On the follow-up, MJB reminds us, the capricious nature of love means that you’re just as likely to fall for Mr. Wrong as Mr. Right. Heavyweight guest Drake takes the pole position, lacing Jim Jonsin and Rico Love‘s downtempo synth beat with doleful rhymes from the perspective of the title character (“I’m always her regret, yeah I’m always her regret, and I always make it harder on whoever’s comin’ next.”). The headliner takes over for the record’s latter two-thirds, soulfully lamenting that, “Bad boys ain’t no good, and good boys ain’t no fun.” Will Blige ever hit the jackpot and find that “bad” boy who won’t do her wrong? We can only hope. In any case, those digging this cut should mark their calendars for the November 21, arrival of her 10th LP, My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1).
Written by richard on 10/27/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride " (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.