When last we left Mary J. Blige, the veteran R&B songstress was head-over-heels for a guy so fantastic she wished she could break the laws of time and space and be with him 25/8. It sounded like she was in a damn good place romantically—but, um, sounds can be deceiving. On the follow-up, MJB reminds us, the capricious nature of love means that you’re just as likely to fall for Mr. Wrong as Mr. Right. Heavyweight guest Drake takes the pole position, lacing Jim Jonsin and Rico Love‘s downtempo synth beat with doleful rhymes from the perspective of the title character (“I’m always her regret, yeah I’m always her regret, and I always make it harder on whoever’s comin’ next.”). The headliner takes over for the record’s latter two-thirds, soulfully lamenting that, “Bad boys ain’t no good, and good boys ain’t no fun.” Will Blige ever hit the jackpot and find that “bad” boy who won’t do her wrong? We can only hope. In any case, those digging this cut should mark their calendars for the November 21, arrival of her 10th LP, My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1).
Written by richard on 10/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride (I See the Future)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.