We all knew that Mary J. Blige was a powerful woman. Her voice alone has been known to make grown men cry and arguing couples put aside their differences in the name of love. But on her new single she’s taken her influence to the next level, rewriting the laws of physics, with 25/8 (think 24/7, only more). R&B mainstay Eric Hudson mans the boards on this far reaching cut, filling the track with live percussion, synths, woodwind instruments, a gospel-esque clapping section and too many other instruments to name here. Vocally this is the MJB that we’ve all grown to love and respect, although here she’s put aside the heartbreak and regret that filled so much of her past work in favor of some no-holds-barred loving. That’s right, not only does she love her man, she loves her man the confines of the calendar simply can’t hold her. 25/8 is the first official single we’ve heard off the real Queen of R&B’s upcoming album, My Life II: The Journey Continues, tentatively set to be released this October. And if you know the music industry, you know that “tentative” means keep it locked to DJBooth for updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/25/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride " (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.