We all knew that Mary J. Blige was a powerful woman. Her voice alone has been known to make grown men cry and arguing couples put aside their differences in the name of love. But on her new single she’s taken her influence to the next level, rewriting the laws of physics, with 25/8 (think 24/7, only more). R&B mainstay Eric Hudson mans the boards on this far reaching cut, filling the track with live percussion, synths, woodwind instruments, a gospel-esque clapping section and too many other instruments to name here. Vocally this is the MJB that we’ve all grown to love and respect, although here she’s put aside the heartbreak and regret that filled so much of her past work in favor of some no-holds-barred loving. That’s right, not only does she love her man, she loves her man the confines of the calendar simply can’t hold her. 25/8 is the first official single we’ve heard off the real Queen of R&B’s upcoming album, My Life II: The Journey Continues, tentatively set to be released this October. And if you know the music industry, you know that “tentative” means keep it locked to DJBooth for updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/25/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride (I See the Future)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.