There are many an adjective in the hip-hop lexicon used to describe a great song: hot, fire, blazing and cold are just a few. The descriptor that fits Martin $ky’s latest effort, however, is the rarely-used STEAM; it just so happens that is also the title of the cut (who knew?). In many ways $ky’ flow is certainly a lot like STEAM; it is hot, yet it’s also airy like the vapors pouring out of a tea kettle. And while his approach is impressive, what really makes this song knock is the artist’s own boardwork. Martin cooks up a lurching, dripping production that should remind listeners of something you might hear in Zelda (or many an old Nintendo game) while exploring an ominous cave. As of right now, STEAM is not a part of anything larger, but feel free to check out the Chicago native’s last Booth spot, July’s PEARL GAWD.
Written by Lucas G. on 12/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.