There are many an adjective in the hip-hop lexicon used to describe a great song: hot, fire, blazing and cold are just a few. The descriptor that fits Martin $ky’s latest effort, however, is the rarely-used STEAM; it just so happens that is also the title of the cut (who knew?). In many ways $ky’ flow is certainly a lot like STEAM; it is hot, yet it’s also airy like the vapors pouring out of a tea kettle. And while his approach is impressive, what really makes this song knock is the artist’s own boardwork. Martin cooks up a lurching, dripping production that should remind listeners of something you might hear in Zelda (or many an old Nintendo game) while exploring an ominous cave. As of right now, STEAM is not a part of anything larger, but feel free to check out the Chicago native’s last Booth spot, July’s PEARL GAWD.
Written by Lucas G. on 12/13/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.