Like fellow Motor City MC Obie Trice, rapper Marquise Porter goes by his “real name, no gimmicks.” This motto also seems to sum up his debut single, where rather than focus exclusively on the street or the club, he paints a vivid picture of life In Da City. Producer Saint Denson, who gets an A+ for style by using an Eagles sample, provides a beat that is everything a musical accompaniment should be. It’s powerful enough to set a backdrop, but subtle enough to make room for Porter’s lyricism. While his writing might not be Detroit’s best (Hey Marshall), Marquise Porter definitely has the heart and soul to make himself at home.
Listen to More: Marquise Porter
Written by Burmy on 10/29/07
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.