Though his last feature, Kickin’ and Screamin’, earned mixed – well, OK, lousy – reviews from readers, Marques Houston hasn’t given up the fight. Today, the Los Angeles native is back on our front page with, Pullin on Her Hair, a new radio single he hopes will get listeners in the Booth and beyond hooked on his brand of Mattress Music. The concept is, well, pretty self-explanatory: over his and Chris Stokes’ mellow, synth-driven instrumental, Houston soulfully explains just how much pleasure he derives from yanking on his girl’s ‘do. Fortunately, the female in question finds it as enjoyable as he does, even when it results in ruined cornrows. Teflon Don Rick Ross expresses his own penchant for hair-pulling on the guest tip – no word, unfortunately, on whether he likes having his beard tugged (you’ll just have to try for yourself next time you see him). Anyway, has Houston succeeded in winning you over with this bedroom jam? If your answer is “Yes,” you’ll most definitely want to grab a copy of the artist’s latest full-length when it hits stores and online retailers July 27.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.