When it comes to writing a bedroom-ready R&B record, quoting Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On is practically cheating. You might as well just pump pheromones through the listener’s speakers. Be that as it may, I’m willing to give Los Angeles crooner Marques Houston a pass for drawing from the classic burner on Only You, the lead single off his sixth full-length. Featuring lyrics borrowed from the ‘73 single, as well as a beat (courtesy of Houston and Immanuel Rich) that echoes its melody, the record packs a considerable erotic charge right out the gate, but the Musicworks signee manages to build upon Gaye’s blueprint, turning in a cut with a sensual appeal all its own. Brian Carter directs the joint’s sultry official visuals. For more, check out Marques Houston’s Famous LP when it hits record stores and online retailers next Tuesday, August 27.
Written by richard on 08/22/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.