When it comes to writing a bedroom-ready R&B record, quoting Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On is practically cheating. You might as well just pump pheromones through the listener’s speakers. Be that as it may, I’m willing to give Los Angeles crooner Marques Houston a pass for drawing from the classic burner on Only You, the lead single off his sixth full-length. Featuring lyrics borrowed from the ‘73 single, as well as a beat (courtesy of Houston and Immanuel Rich) that echoes its melody, the record packs a considerable erotic charge right out the gate, but the Musicworks signee manages to build upon Gaye’s blueprint, turning in a cut with a sensual appeal all its own. Brian Carter directs the joint’s sultry official visuals. For more, check out Marques Houston’s Famous LP when it hits record stores and online retailers next Tuesday, August 27.
Written by richard on 08/22/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.