When it comes to writing a bedroom-ready R&B record, quoting Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On is practically cheating. You might as well just pump pheromones through the listener’s speakers. Be that as it may, I’m willing to give Los Angeles crooner Marques Houston a pass for drawing from the classic burner on Only You, the lead single off his sixth full-length. Featuring lyrics borrowed from the ‘73 single, as well as a beat (courtesy of Houston and Immanuel Rich) that echoes its melody, the record packs a considerable erotic charge right out the gate, but the Musicworks signee manages to build upon Gaye’s blueprint, turning in a cut with a sensual appeal all its own. Brian Carter directs the joint’s sultry official visuals. For more, check out Marques Houston’s Famous LP when it hits record stores and online retailers next Tuesday, August 27.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.