Don’t worry, kids – reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series alumnus) Marky hasn’t developed a taste for the sizzurp. Instead, new mixtape freestyle Purple finds the D.C. hopeful following in the footsteps of none other than Nasir Jones, flipping a track off the Queensbridge legend’s Lost Tapes into a backdrop for some deep thoughts of his own. Over Hill, Inc.‘s somber, piano-led instrumental, Marky delves into his relationship with Demetrius, a cousin who was incarcerated when the artist was only two years old. In vivid, impressionistic verses, Marky describes his changing perspective on the situation, and how this understanding contributed to his development as an artist – pledging to be his cousin’s window to the outside, he spits, “Eyes open, a vision of freedom is all I can be.” With the passion, and the ear for lyrical detail Marky showcases here, I can’t imagine many listeners walking away unimpressed. Journey to Markyland, USA: Rest Stop 3 drops tomorrow, July 27. In the meantime, why not take a(nother) listen to Rest Stop 2 available for streaming/download right here in the Booth?
Listen to More: Marky
Written by richard on 07/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sheila (I Want Her)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.