Don’t worry, kids – reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series alumnus) Marky hasn’t developed a taste for the sizzurp. Instead, new mixtape freestyle Purple finds the D.C. hopeful following in the footsteps of none other than Nasir Jones, flipping a track off the Queensbridge legend’s Lost Tapes into a backdrop for some deep thoughts of his own. Over Hill, Inc.‘s somber, piano-led instrumental, Marky delves into his relationship with Demetrius, a cousin who was incarcerated when the artist was only two years old. In vivid, impressionistic verses, Marky describes his changing perspective on the situation, and how this understanding contributed to his development as an artist – pledging to be his cousin’s window to the outside, he spits, “Eyes open, a vision of freedom is all I can be.” With the passion, and the ear for lyrical detail Marky showcases here, I can’t imagine many listeners walking away unimpressed. Journey to Markyland, USA: Rest Stop 3 drops tomorrow, July 27. In the meantime, why not take a(nother) listen to Rest Stop 2 available for streaming/download right here in the Booth?
Listen to More: Marky
Written by richard on 07/26/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sheila (I Want Her)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.