Don’t worry, kids – reader fave (and exclusive freestyle series alumnus) Marky hasn’t developed a taste for the sizzurp. Instead, new mixtape freestyle Purple finds the D.C. hopeful following in the footsteps of none other than Nasir Jones, flipping a track off the Queensbridge legend’s Lost Tapes into a backdrop for some deep thoughts of his own. Over Hill, Inc.‘s somber, piano-led instrumental, Marky delves into his relationship with Demetrius, a cousin who was incarcerated when the artist was only two years old. In vivid, impressionistic verses, Marky describes his changing perspective on the situation, and how this understanding contributed to his development as an artist – pledging to be his cousin’s window to the outside, he spits, “Eyes open, a vision of freedom is all I can be.” With the passion, and the ear for lyrical detail Marky showcases here, I can’t imagine many listeners walking away unimpressed. Journey to Markyland, USA: Rest Stop 3 drops tomorrow, July 27. In the meantime, why not take a(nother) listen to Rest Stop 2 available for streaming/download right here in the Booth?
Written by richard on 07/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sheila (I Want Her)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.