If you’re the leader, pioneer, trailblazer, go-getter type, you doubtless already went and got DJBooth.net and PUMA‘s acclaimed compilation EP, Uncontested. For those lagging behind the curve, though, it’s not too late to join the ranks of musical tastemakers—we’‘ll even ease you in with another standout cut off the project. On this quietly determined banger, DMV fave Marky gets his Malcolm X on, expressing his drive to succeed By Any Means necessary. The Madman keeps it on a slow burn behind the boards, layering choral synths over a chugging percussion rhythm as the freestyle series alumnus drops bars that drip with steely resolve. While the overall tone is on the lofty side (dig the MLK and Gandhi namedrops, not to mention the Biblical imagery), he doesn’t neglect to sling a few barbs at the competition, quipping: “I’m LL Cool, you LL Bean.” Need more high-caliber grind music in your life? Then you know what to do: head on down to our mixtape page and grab your copy of Uncontested Or, y’know, just click here and save yourself five seconds.
Written by richard on 08/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sheila (I Want Her)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.