Playing the “here’s a track that didn’t make the cut for my album” game can be dangerous. Done right listeners are left thinking, “If this didn’t make it, the album must be incredible!” Done wrong, listeners are left thinking, “well, I won’t be checking out that album.” Marion Write’s so (deservedly) confident in his abilities that he’s more than happy to put himself, and his upcoming album Illustrated Example, on the line with new release Tell Me. Producer S.B. mans the boards here, delivering what has to be called a very Neptunes-esque beat filled with laid back piano and vibing percussion. It’s the perfect backdrop for Marion to get on his storytelling tip, laying down the tale of a young man who’s only mission is life is to lay down next to a certain female, laying down some serious lyrical game in the process: “I could see us in tune, like instruments in harmony.” If this cutting room floor joint has you geeked, prepare to lose your mind when Illustrated Example’s official lead single drops on January 2, followed by the entire album on January 31.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/12/11
Flo Deep Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everybody Move" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.