Fifteen years ago this past Saturday, hip-hop legend Big L was killed by an unknown assailant in a drive-by shooting, at only 24 years of age. Vegas rhymesayer Marion Write honored the occasion by releasing Ls, a promo single that, despite not being a ‘tribute record’ in the strict sense, clearly showcases the Harlem icon’s influence on his style. MOOSE bases his instrumental around a flip of James Gilstrap’s Move Me, the same joint sampled by beatsmith Mike Heron on Big L’s Flamboyant. A few lines from that same classic cut (“Make sure my mic is loud and my production is tight…”) serve as the record’s chorus, separating Write’s fast-paced, almost breathless verses. Ls is slated to appear on the artist’s summer-bound full-length, Black Gold. Watch our pages for further release details on the set, as well as all the latest singles.
Flo Deep Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everybody Move" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.