Bust out the cake and candles, Booth readers; we have a birthday in the house! What are Marion Write‘s plans for his big day? In addition to whatever celebration he may be doing after-hours, the rhymesayer is doing some reflection on life, death and his place in the industry on a brand new single. In the tradition of Jay-Z‘s birthday-themed jam, December 4 (which also provides the record’s titular sample), Fade to Black finds the Sin City representer who brought us Illustrated Example layering string flourishes and ghostly vocal samples over a rolling beakbeat to back his own reflections on the path his life has taken. Of course, given that the freestyle alum still has a ways to go before his true potential is reached, the record is as much about his bright future as it is his hustle to date. By analogy to a number of athletic greats, the rhymesayer indicates the legendary status to which he aspires: “I’m Ali in Zaire, and the speech before / Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, leading all the scorers / When Jordan claimed the sixth, Magic before he dipped / It’s Clark with The Catch, LeBron in the first pick.” Feeling this ambition-drenched banger? You can download Fade for free via AudioMack, in anticipation of its release as part of Write’s To Love and Conquer LP.
Written by richard on 05/3/12
Submit your Rating
Flo Deep Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Everybody Move" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.