Getting dumped is one thing; getting dumped and watching the man or woman you love run straight into the arms of Somebody Else is… well, it’s f**king devastating. Unfortunately, that’s exactly the situation in which R&B hitmaker Mario finds himself on the latest single off his forthcoming RCA Records debut. (Fall 2011’s The Walls precedes it.) In contrast to the chilly style of his last song release, Killa, this cut boasts a more upbeat, hip hop-informed vibe. Polow da Don backs the artist’s grief-stricken verses with thumping percussion and chopped soul snippets, allowing the sampled vocals to accompany Mario on the hook. The woman in question (as played by a surprisingly understated Nicki Minaj) offers her own perspective regarding their split on verse three. Mario was quoted as saying, “I hope this new song breathes new life into R&B.” Has he achieved that lofty goal? If you think so, you’ll be able to cop the record on iTunes tomorrow, May 21. Watch our pages for the latest on Mario’s fifth full-length, which has yet to receive a title or a solid drop date.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Mario’s Alexandre Moors-directed Somebody Else visual.
Written by richard on 07/9/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All Girls Cheat" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.