Like most of America, I couldn’t seem to get Mario’s hit song Break Up out of my head. But what I noticed most about Break Up wasn’t just how damn catchy it was, but that its more electronic style marked a noticeable departure for the usually organic R&B-focused Mario. Well, it’s officially a trend, because his new track Before She Said Hi is another electronically oriented cut, thanks to production from Dre & Vidal that builds orchestral strings around sharp Middle Eastern percussion. Vocally Mario’s voice is as smooth as ever, and this time around Big Sean takes Gucci Mane’s spot in the guest rapper spot, delivering a decent punchline heavy flow. Ultimately, Before She Said Hi is a decent track, but I just can’t see it blowing up like Break Up did. Hey, they can’t all be number one. You can hear more from Mario when his new album D.N.A., along with my review, drops tomorrow.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/12/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All Girls Cheat" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)