In my review of Mariah Carey’s new album Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel I wrote that while The-Dream and Tricky Stewart’s production was as impeccable as always, their darker style didn’t necessarily match Mariah’s light, soprano vocals. Well, apparently Jermaine Dupri reads my reviews, because the hitmaker, who Mariah so successfully teamed up with for The Emancipation of Mimi, has remixed H.A.T.E.U., speeding up the original’s slowly paced rhythm and adding some traditionally catchy So So Def percussion bounce. Joining JD on the remix are the omnipresent Gucci Mane and OJ Da Juiceman - who’s apparently contractually obligated to appear alongside Gucci - and Outkast legend Big Boi, who delivers the best verse of the bunch (which, frankly, wasn’t that hard). Is the remix better than the original? No. Is it catchier, more fun and more likely to hit at radio? No doubt. The only mystery here is what H.A.T.E.U. could possibly stand for as an acronym. Anyone have any ideas?
Written by Nathan S. on 10/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lil' L.O.V.E. ft. Mariah Carey & Bow Wow" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.